Who We Are
The Volunteer Park Trust was created by citizens to fully realize the dream for Seattle’s crown jewel, Volunteer Park. Our focus is to protect and preserve this treasured city and national landmark for today and for generations to come.
Volunteer Park is a green refuge in the heart of diverse and densely populated neighborhoods. It serves as a place of contemplation, celebration, recreation and delight. The Trust’s shared purpose is to preserve and enhance the park for everyone to enjoy: for picnicking, wading, sunbathing and tossing a Frisbee; for enjoying Shakespeare and listening to music; exploring The Seattle Asian Art Museum; lingering in the Conservatory on a gray day; and for so much more.
Our beloved, most prominent historic park is in need of immediate and long-term stewardship beyond what the city can do. Its future – and the precious legacy left to all of us by the Olmsted Brothers and their breathtaking design – is in jeopardy. In response to this challenge, the Trust is working in partnership with neighbors, Seattle Parks and Recreation, the Seattle Parks Foundation and others. Some of the projects we will collaborate on include:
- Make the park safer and friendlier with better lighting and signs.
- Reclaim green areas, complete landscaping and long-term green maintenance and restore gardens around the lily ponds and reservoir.
- Help with future renovations of the water tower including a welcoming, well lit observation area while working with Seattle Parks and Recreation for improved tree canopy and views.
- Work to preserve the reservoir, including a perimeter “Sunset Promenade Walk” with open views, benches and lighting.
- Continue to improve and expand a safe and fun children’s play area.
- Organize and host events for all ages, ranging from talks and tours to garden parties and seasonal celebrations.
The future and success of these goals rests with all of us who love the park. Please join the Trust – volunteer, donate and share your ideas so together we ensure Volunteer Park remains a magnificent urban oasis for another 100 years.